Toothpaste is something we use every day, and most people don’t consider the environmental impact of it’s ingredients. Eco-friendly toothpaste does not contain fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, carrageenan, or triclosan that are detrimental to human and animal health. It also does not come in plastic packaging like toothpaste tubes that can pollute the environment.
Regular toothpaste is made with triclosan which, when mixed with chlorine from tap water, forms a chloroform chemical. This dangerous chemical has been known to have the ability to cause cancer. However, eco-friendly toothpaste is made from natural ingredients like cinnamon, chamomile, and calcium to promote environmental conservation efforts.
Today, many eco-friendly toothpaste options come packed in glass jars, refillable tubes, and recyclable metal tubes. Some eco-friendly toothpaste even comes in the form of tablets that save you the trouble of disposing of traditional tubes.
The Benefits of Using Eco-Friendly Toothpaste
It safely cleans your teeth.
Eco-friendly toothpaste does not contain any harmful ingredients or artificial chemical substances. It will clean your teeth well, while also getting rid of bacteria using natural minerals.
Eco-friendly toothpaste safely gives you really fresh breath.
Eco-friendly toothpaste contains natural oils, such as spearmint, that can fight off bacteria. As a result, the natural oils help you to get rid of bad breath without exposure to harmful chemicals.
Eco-friendly toothpaste helps with painful gums.
Eco-friendly toothpaste contains plant extracts like Aloe vera that have soothing effects for sore gums. In addition, eco-friendly toothpaste often includes vegetal oils that are very effective in reducing teeth sensitivity.
Eco-friendly toothpaste is effective at removing stains.
Eco-friendly can get rid of stubborn stains from your teeth because it contains silica. Silica is a very effective teeth whitening agent. It polishes and whitens your teeth without harming your enamel.
It comes in eco-friendly packaging.
Eco-friendly toothpaste usually comes in recyclable packagings, such as recyclable paper. Alternatively, eco-friendly toothpaste may be put in tins, containers, or even glass jars to ensure it poses zero threat to the environment.
Why Use Natural Ingredients in My Toothpaste?
- Natural ingredients, like xylitol, are very effective at preventing the build-up of plaque and the development of cavities.
- Some natural ingredients will help eliminate bacteria from your teeth and reduce the chances of suffering from tooth infections.
- Natural ingredients will help you fight off bad breath (halitosis). For example, green tea extract has been known to promote oral health by preventing the production and multiplication of bacteria. This is essential in helping you maintain fresh breath.
- They are effective at helping you to get rid of stains. For example, baking soda found in natural toothpaste is a good stain-remover.
- Some natural ingredients are very effective at helping you to develop strong gums. For example, zinc citrate will inhibit bacteria growth on your teeth and gums, helping to prevent gingivitis.
- Some natural ingredients in natural toothpaste like papaya plant extracts are strong teeth whitening agents. In addition, papaya plant extracts are good at reducing gum inflammation.
- Natural ingredients like Aloe vera possess antiseptic properties that will help you to avoid developing oral diseases such as periodontitis by keeping your mouth clean.
Examples Of Environmentally Friendly and Healthy Ingredients in Toothpaste
- Potassium Nitrate: Potassium nitrate is a great substance that will help to reduce tooth sensitivity for those with sensitive teeth.
- Zinc Citrate: Zinc citrate is one of the best substances available to reduce the chances of plaque accumulation.
- Calcium Carbonate: Calcium carbonate is a very effective abrasive agent. It will help get rid of stains from your teeth so they look shinier and whiter.
How To Make Your Own Homemade Toothpaste with Natural Ingredients
Making your homemade toothpaste is not a complex process. There are many simple recipes that can help you create eco-friendly toothpaste without using toxic chemicals. These DIY steps will still allow you to get cleaner, shinier, and whiter teeth. Let’s go through one of the simplest DIY recipes that will help you make your own eco-friendly toothpaste.
- Coconut oil (½ cup)
- Baking soda (4 tablespoons)
- Peppermint essential oil (about 15 drops)
How to Make it:
- Pour the ½ cup of coconut oil into a bowl.
- Put the four tablespoons of baking soda into the bowl.
- Add the peppermint essential oil (about 15 drops) into the bowl containing a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda.
- Thoroughly mix for some time until you get a soft paste.
- To make your process even more eco-friendly, store the toothpaste in a glass jar.
You now have your own easy-to-make and eco-friendly toothpaste.
5 Eco-Friendly Toothpastes Available to Purchase
Etee Zero-Waste Chewpaste
Etee Zero-Waste Chewpaste is a natural toothpaste made of natural ingredients like xylitol, glacial clay, citric acid, and sodium bicarb. The glacial clay will help eliminate bacteria, assist in whitening your teeth, and help reduce sensitivity.
Etee Zero-Waste Chewpaste also contains fluoride, which will help prevent cavities and tooth decay. These are safe ingredients that will not cause harm to the environment or your health. This toothpaste comes in eco-friendly packaging, a refillable glass jar that has a steel lid.
Georganics Zero-Waste Toothpowder
Georganics Zero-Waste Toothpaste comes in the form of toothpowder made from natural ingredients, such as plant extracts, sodium carbonate, and sodium bicarbonate. These natural components are very effective when it comes to strengthening your enamel and will also help reduce teeth sensitivity.
The toothpowder does not contain toxic chemical substances such as triclosan, phthalates, or parabens. Georganics Toothpowder comes in refillable glass jars with aluminum lids.
Nelson Naturals Toothpaste
Nelson Naturals Toothpaste contains natural ingredients such as activated charcoal, xylitol, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, sea salt, and peppermint essential oil. Activated charcoal is very effective in whitening your teeth, eliminating bacteria, and preventing the accumulation of plaque.
It has peppermint essential oil, which is very effective at giving you fresh breath. Nelsons Naturals Toothpaste is packaged in a recyclable and reusable glass jar that comes with a steel lid.
David’s Premium Natural Toothpaste
The mild foaming action of David’s Premium Natural Toothpaste, combined with the calcium carbonate, is highly effective at reducing teeth sensitivity. It also contains sodium bicarbonate, peppermint oil, vegetable glycerin, and hydrated silica. These are natural ingredients that will not impact your teeth, health, and environment negatively.
David’s Premium Natural Toothpaste has eco-friendly packaging in the form of a recyclable aluminum tube. The brand ships its products using a recyclable cardboard box made from FSC paper.
Ben and Anna Eco-Friendly Toothpaste
Ben and Anna have a wide variety of toothpaste options that come in different formulas. Some contain fluoride, while some are fluoride-free. Their toothpaste is very effective at whitening your teeth and works well to reduce teeth sensitivity.
Ben and Anna’s Eco-Friendly Toothpaste is comprised of natural ingredients, such as cinnamon, chamomile, and activated charcoal, that contribute to stronger teeth, healthy gums, and shinier teeth. To make their toothpaste eco-friendly, Ben and Anna use recyclable glass jars and cardboard boxes for packaging their toothpaste.
What is the safest and best natural toothpaste?
David’s Herbal Citrus Peppermint Toothpaste is considered one of the safest and best natural toothpaste. Its packaging is a recyclable metal tube and is made of safe ingredients. You can get this toothpaste from Amazon.
Is eco-friendly toothpaste any less effective than regular toothpaste?
No, it is still very effective. It will clean your teeth gently and thoroughly while helping you to get rid of bacteria and plaque with its natural mineral ingredients.
Is toothpaste harmful to the environment?
Yes, it is! Some ingredients used in making toothpaste are harmful to the environment. For example, Helidon Pink and Brilliant Blue FCF are normally used as colorants in making toothpaste. They are, however, very toxic to marine life. The plastic tubes of toothpaste packaging cannot be easily recycled and will sit in landfills for a long time before biodegrading.
Eco-Friendly Toothpaste Tablets
Eco-friendly toothpaste tablets are a type of zero waste toothpaste in a pill-like form that you can chew into a paste and then brush your teeth. They are essentially just powdered toothpaste that has been condensed into tiny tablets.
What are eco-friendly toothpaste tables made of?
Eco-friendly tablets are made of natural chemical substances such as xylitol, sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid, and calcium carbonate. These tablets are 100% plastic-free and do not contain any preservatives.
What are the benefits of eco-friendly toothpaste tablets?
- Eco-friendly toothpaste tablets are small and solid, and can, therefore, be shipped with minimal fuss.
- Their packaging is usually made from recyclable paper, reusable containers, and glass jars. Therefore, these eco-friendly toothpaste tablets eliminate the use of plastic tubes used with regular toothpaste.
- They use practical and gentle stain-removing agents. Eco-friendly toothpaste tablets remove stubborn stains as well as plaque while keeping your teeth whiter.
- Eco-friendly tablets are convenient and easy to use. All you are required to do is chew on a tablet, turn it into a paste, and then brush your teeth.
How do you use eco-friendly toothpaste tablets?
You can use eco-friendly toothpaste tablets by following the steps below:
- Take one tablet and put it into your mouth.
- Chew and grind your tablet using your teeth.
- Allow your saliva to mix with the now powdered tablet until it forms a paste.
- Lastly, use a wet brush to brush your teeth.
5 Awesome Eco-Friendly Toothpaste Tablet Brands
Chewtab Toothpaste Tablets
Chewtab Toothpaste Tablets are made from natural baking soda, xylitol, calcium phosphate, and peppermint. They are silica-free and are, therefore, not as abrasive as other toothpaste tablets. Chewtab Toothpaste Tablets will not harm your gums and are very effective at strengthening your enamel. These toothpaste tablets come in reusable glass jars that are refillable.
Bite Toothpaste Bits
Bite Toothpaste Bits are made of natural, vegan ingredients and other chemical substances like calcium carbonate that reduce teeth sensitivity. They also contain nano-hydroxyapatite, which is responsible for making your teeth stronger and less susceptible to cavities and decay. Bite Toothpaste Bits are shipped in recyclable cardboard and paper materials and packaged in glass jars.
Dent Tabs are plastic-free, eco-friendly toothpaste tablets that are packed in recyclable aluminum bottles. These vegan-friendly toothpaste tablets do not contain water and have zero preservatives. Dent Tabs are made from natural substances such as sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, silica, natural mint aroma, etc.
Parla Toothpaste Tablets
Parla Toothpaste Tabs contain a small amount of fluoride that is effective in helping to prevent teeth decay. Parla Toothpaste Tablets are great whitening agents. They are very creamy and foam up fast. These toothpaste tablets give you a thorough clean while helping you have fresh, minty breath. They are packaged in a reusable glass jar.
Truthtabs toothpaste tablets are made of fluoride, silica, natural salt, and peppermint oils. They are comfortable in the mouth and produce foam that helps give you a quick clean. Truthtabs toothpaste tablets are packed in recyclable cardboard material that biodegrades quickly.
Today, more people have embraced the use of zero waste toothpaste that comes in eco-friendly toothpaste tablets, natural toothpaste, and toothpaste powder. This is due to a rise in awareness of the health risks in the ingredients of conventional toothpaste. The use of chemical substances like triclosan and artificial additives like Helidone Pink is slowly getting phased off. Brands are increasingly coming up with natural toothpaste alternatives that are composed of natural ingredients. Zero waste toothpaste is also appealing because of its eco-friendly packaging like recyclable metal tubes and glass. In addition, shipping is often environmentally friendly, including the use of compostable bags. We encourage you to consider using eco-friendly toothpaste starting today.
Check out this article to learn about Eco-Leather.